Saturday, January 21, 2012

Week #3 of 52

As soon as I posted the pics from Weeks 1 & 2, I was unbelievably excited to find out the subject for Week #3. And, once it was up- I was stumped. The topic for Week 3's photograph was "Inspiration", which was a super toughie for me. What inspires me? From what (or whom) do I get my inspiration? This is the easiest question in the world for me... there's so much. I could give you ten things, at least. The problem was with narrowing it down to one.

At first, I thought of the obvious- my children. Yes, they inspire me to do great things so that I can provide inspiration for them some day. But, more than that- they inspire me to be silly. To stay young. To not stress about the little, mundane things. To just be free- like a child. My youngest inspires me to get on my knees and crawl on the floor acting like a puppy. My oldest inspires me to just be goofy. She's such a nut and pretty much DEMANDS that you relax and stop taking everything so seriously. My middle child, my first-born son, my heart and soul... inspires me to look at everything a little bit differently. To really "see" art in everything, as he does. He is my little artist and sees everything as an opportunity to create. These people truly inspire me.

Then, I thought of my mother-out-law... Ruthanne. She raised two children on her own, for the most part. Working all the time. Doing the absolute very best with what she had. Was she perfect? Ha. Are ANY of us perfect? But, was she amazing? Absolutely. She has taught me to stand up for what I want, what I know is right, what I believe in... and to not take "no" for an answer. I've still got a long way to go on that, but I'm working on it. The woman has balls of steel, for lack of a better phrase. She lets nothing & no one intimidate her or stand in the way of what she wants. This woman truly inspires me.

There's also my own mother. She has been through so much... so incredibly much. Things that I couldn't possibly understand until I was grown and a mother myself (isn't that the way it usually works)... and some things I still don't quite "get", but am thankful that I will never have to "get" them. She moves forward, presses on, and smiles another day. She has taught me to smile through the tears. She taught me to "sing like ya don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt, and dance like nobody's watchin"... She truly inspires me.

My grandmother inspires me. For reasons too numerous to count. Every one who truly knows me knows what my Nana means to me. I could not ask for a better role model, or a more ridiculous best friend. She makes me laugh, but that woman is one tough cookie. If you want to see someone who can go through something that would rip the heart straight out of someone's chest, but still maintain the composure to be there for others- look no further than my Nana. That woman truly inspires me.

Erin McCoy, my sister-out-law... owner of Sixpence Photography... mother of Evy Sue... wife of Matt... daughter of Ruthanne... super-aunt to my babies... SHE has inspired me, especially over the past year. She's always been somewhat of an inspiration to me. Her smile is ridiculously contagious. Her personality and warmth will overcome you and just make you feel like you're her best friend. For several years, I was married to her brother... she was my Maid of Honor in our wedding- because she is truly one of the NICEST people you will ever meet. She was born to be a mother. I've known that for a long time. But, when she sent me a text to tell me she was pregnant, I cried. I seriously cried. I was so happy because I knew that her life was going to be changed in ways that she had no idea. And, of course, it was. Her daughter, Evy, inspired her to do something that she had wanted to do for so long. Erin started Sixpence Photography in 2011 and has grown so much in the past year, doing what she loves doing. Watching her go after her dreams has inspired me to do the same. She's not a random name that I've heard, or just a beautiful photo I've seen floating out there... She's my family. Still. And she truly inspires me.

So, understandably, with such incredible women to look to for inspiration, as well as three perfectly imperfect children, I was having extreme difficulty deciding on what the focus of my "inspiration" would be. Then he came home. Last night, after working all day, he walked in the door anxious to play with our 16 month old son- his pride and joy. He had barely stepped out of his jeans when his phone rang. Typical. It was someone calling about a job. It was 7:30 at night. Most people hang up their work hat at 5 p.m., then go home to be with their family. His phone usually does not stop ringing until around 10 p.m. He's up at 6 to do it all over again. Sometimes  7 days a week. It doesn't stop. I would be lying if I said that he never complains. Heaven knows the man complains. ((Don't they all??)) But, he doesn't turn a job down if he can help it, because he knows what it takes to support his family. He works his butt off... day in, day out... and still makes time to be the most incredible father (honestly) that I have ever known.

This man, in his hole-ly long johns, on his phone working at 7:30 p.m. on a Friday, 
is my inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. so sweet! so did you decide on "blessed photography"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! girl, I STILL haven't decided!!! I go back & forth atleast twice a day. But, for the project 52 I needed a name... blessed. seems to go better with "grown up" stuff, while I REALLY like sitting duck better for kids stuffs. And, really, I would rather do more kid stuff anyway... but, what if one day I do a wedding... I'm thinking they may feel funny saying "Yes, Sitting Duck is coming to do our wedding photography"... lol. I need HELP.

    ReplyDelete