Saturday, February 4, 2012

my little superman

Due to his having MRSA (an antibiotic resistant staph infection that just KEEPS coming back), Braydon doesn't get to have a lot of sweets. It's not such a big deal to me because I don't have much of a sweet tooth anyway (however, if you catch me on the right day, I can devour a row of Golden Oreos in a matter of minutes!). But, Braydon, like most little people, loves cookies. It's not even just cookies that he loves so much- Cheetos, Ritz crackers, suckers, Reese's cups.... any kind of "junk food". Unfortunately, all of these are on the list of foods he needs to stay away from. Being the proactive-lets-keep-the-kid-out-of-the-hospital-and-do-everything-we-can-as-naturally-as-possible-before-turning-to-antibiotics kind of mom that I am, I did a lot of research. And by "a lot", I mean countless hours on forums reading from people who have had children who have suffered or have actually themselves suffered from this horrendous, painful super-bug. One thing that I've found is that MRSA has a very difficult time living in an alkaline environment. It thrives on acid... so one method of eradicating this thing, is to limit acid foods and increase the alkalinizing foods (most all green veggies are high on the alkaline scale, where carbs, sugars, and "junk" are all high on the acidic scale). Soy products are also very alkalinizing, so for his snacks lately, it's been soy yogurt (which he loves and is super healthy anyway)... I try to encourage healthy eating habits with all of my children, but sometimes a kid just wants a french fry... or a cookie.
So, the other day, I pulled the Golden Oreos out from their hiding place (I hide them from myself... out of sight, out of mind, right?) and gave my little monkey one. The last time he ate one, he discovered "dunking"... this time, he discovered that they twist apart!!!! and there's all kinds of yummy chocolate-y stuff in the middle!!!
here he is discovering that Oreos come apart :)

BUT he also knows that he usually is not allowed to have these cookies... so, not sure if he's really allowed to eat it, he sneaks off to his tent (this was captured from around the corner with some serious zoom). notice there is already chocolate creme filling on the back of his diaper.. and, somehow, his foot.

hehe. he thought he was getting away with something...

the moment he realized he was "busted"


I just love that little guy so much. Knowing that this infection is something that has been deadly for so many, we are so thankful to have our baby boy & praise God for every single day that he is healthy. Each time that a new outbreak comes, we quarantine him in the house, bleach everything, go about our routine to kill it, and just pray non-stop that it keeps getting better with our "home treatments"... as soon as a fever spikes, we're back to the hospital. Thankfully, we have not been there since September, and we pray that we don't have to go back. (I don't talk about it much because it's still so scary to me and I don't do well with scary... I hide from confrontation.. even when it's just reality that's confronting me)

But, on a happier note- here is Bray with his bestest buddy (Daddy) just being silly little boys. :)


Brandon seriously smothers him with kissies. He's worse than a mommy half the time. <3

 And I just love this one because it shows Booga playing... this what 25% of our day is spent doing... hiding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment